Monday, May 31, 2010

Felt flowers - LOVE them!

Today, I want to show a tutorial on brightening up any bag for spring. The total cost of this project was about $6.50: one tote bag, $3.99 on sale at Old Navy; 5 pieces of felt for $2.50. I have a lot of felt left over to make more flowers, too.

But first, I want to show off hat #2, the idea of which came from At Second Street and her very awesome creativeness!

And of course this weekend I was inspired to try something different. I went to Michael's and bought felt with the full intention of making a book for my daughter that would have different felt games in there, and a felt doll she could dress up. Then I looked at all the felt in front of me and thought, eh. I don't feel like making that right now, lol!

So instead, the felt became flowers. They are so easy to make. I cut out a big circle (it can be whatever size you want) and I sort of made the edges wavy. Then I cut out a smaller circle and then a smaller circle than the second. I sewed around the edges about 1/8 inch in on the big piece, then placed the second piece on top and did the same around that flowers edges, and then the same with the third. This gives them dimension and texture.


It was fun to mix thread colors and felt colors. I made one with different color petals, and then some flowers that were all one color. I made some leaves and stitched around the edges of those, and then used hot glue to add the leaves onto the backs of the flowers. A final touch was stitching a button into the center. I have a lot of bright colored buttons and I love using them on projects. You can hot glue them on, too, but I wanted the thread in the middle.


And before I forget - as I'm sewing these, my husband is next to me at the table with his needles and thread that he bought (because why would you ask your wife - who sews - if she has a needle and thread for you?? lol). He was sewing the buttons back on some of his work pants. I'm pretty proud that he was able to do that without asking to! Here's our hands, sewing side by side...


Okay, back to the project at hand! I had bought a blue tote bag at Old Navy (of course, because where else do I shop??) It cost me $3.99 thanks to their awesome 50% off clearance prices sale. It even has a little coin purse attached. Here is the before. Seriously, half off $7.99 - it's a wonderful thing!



On the tote bag, I stitched a pink wavy line from about three inches in on one side to three inches in on the other in bright pink thread. Then I hot glued the flowers onto the line at three different points.


I also added one flower onto the coin purse.




And here is the after:


I love this bag! It's now springy and cut and the perfect addition for me to use as a transitional diaper bag ;) I can put some games in there for the kids, some diapers and wipes, some snacks, and head out to any destination we choose for some fun!

Check out these great blogs, too!
  toolsareforwomentoo The Girl Creative  


Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden Night Owl Crafting The Trendy Treehouse Photobucket Hump Day link Life in the Pitts 
http://www.thethriftyhome.com Show and Tell Green Bargain Brag Wednesday Always Nesting
Creations by Kara



4 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is CRAZY cute!!!!!!! loveeeeeeeeeeeee that coin purse too! Thanks for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your creativity. Woo Hoo! Isn't it amazing what a little imagination can accomplish! Thanks for linking to Woo Hoo! Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I love the awesome deal on the bag and that you were able to make it cuter for very little $$$. The coin purse with the flower on it is worth more than you paid for the whole thing.

    Way cool that your husband took it upon himself to fix his pants... that's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your felt flowers, the bag the purse great!
    Collette x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails