Sunday, May 16, 2010

Patchwork Dress

Yay! I was featured on "Women Who Do It All" for this dress - so exciting!













After seeing an amazing array of dresses the past month from Brown Paper Packages, I wanted to make a patchwork one. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to my projects, with working full time and having two little ones who I love to spend time with, so, I wanted to make a slightly easier one (Brown Paper Package's dresses are gorgeous!! She really is an incredible seamstress!)


I took out the sewing machine tonight, along with some squares of fabric that I cut, and began sewing. Row one had six 6x6 squares; row 2 had 8; row 3 had 10, and row 4 had 12. Using a loose stitch on rows 2, 3, and 4, I gathered each row a little to add it on to the previous one. This gave the dress an outward, flowy look.

 I love contrasting prints, which is why I chose a ribbon that had some brown in it, to match the squares, but also threw some pink in. I think it's cute when the patterns stand out from each other. I also added in a matching hairclip that I can put on a headband and in her hair.


I absolutely love how this dress turned out! I can't wait for her to wear it out somewhere. I think my favorite part is that it's (gasp) blue and brown, and not pink! I know, I know, I am the queen of all things girly and putting my baby girl in pink, but I do love these colors with her olive skin tone.

Ah, enough ranting about sewing. I'm going to end with a couple pictures of my super-cute babies, just because I can ;)  lol:

My princess with her sunglasses, bink, and of course shirt praising daddy.

My bug-a-boo helping mommy make brownies in his new apron we made. I keep hoping he'll grow up to be a chef on the Food Network ;)

Have a great week all!




13 comments:

  1. This is SO dang cute! I love it! It looks simple enough...maybe! I'll have to try it out. My little girl would look so fabulous in one. Thanks

    Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Super Cute :-) I adore handmade items. They're so original. I love homemade altogether!

    http://livingonhomemade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all your clothing revamps! they look great, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! You’ve got a great blog here. I host a linky party every Tuesday called Tot Tuesdays. I’ve love it if you’d stop by and link up your great ideas for tots!
    Cheers!
    Jenn
    http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cute - I too have a link up on Tuesdays if you'd like to stop by! Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute dress! I hope you link up tomorrow for Make It Wear it!

    Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling. You've got so many cute things to share. I'm definetly going to feature one of your projects tomorrow, but which to choose, which to choose?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH! So cute. SO cute! I have some old dresses of mine that I have been saving to make something for my daughter. I am definitely going to consider a patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's adorable! As are your kids.

    Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy session at Life in the Pitts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all :) What an awesome response from everyone - you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up to Tot Tuesdays! I love the fabric on this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooh! So cute! I love patchwork-y dresses!

    Thanks for linking!

    Leisel
    Brown Paper Packages

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails