Thursday, May 20, 2010

Scrappy belt and ruffle tshirt

Hmm, it's 11:58 p.m. and I'm sitting here with tired eyes asking myself, "Why did you decide to start sewing at 10:30 p.m.?" It's one of life's great mysteries I guess.

I went to Old Navy today and bought 6 t-shirts in different colors for - wait for it - $1.97 each. Oh yeah! I'm going to use these to test out some different style creations because let's be honest - for $1.97 I guess I can't be too mad if I mess something up ;)

Today's first project was a ruffle t-shirt redo. I have a blue shirt from Old Navy that I wanted to change up. (Notice, I have LOTS of clothes from Old Navy. I basically clothe myself in Old Navy, Kohls, and Target). Here is the shirt before:


And here is the shirt after:


:) Lol, I changed my mind. I didn't like the ruffle idea with the cut of this shirt after I made the ruffle, so I decided to go another way.

I have a plain grey t-shirt and wanted to spice it up. I had a t-shirt from Old Navy that I wanted to use as scrap fabric, so I cut off the arms and then cut two large rectangles from it (one was slightly smaller width than the other).


Can we just take a moment to bask in the glow of a great discount? sigh.... ;)

I used a basting stitch to make the ruffle, then pinned it on the shirt and sewed down in a straight line.


Once secured, I utilized buttons to add a little more pizzaz, and had myself a new t-shirt. ;)


The second is something I've been drooling about making for DAYS - the scrappy belt I saw on "I Am Momma, Hear Me Roar"'s blog. I love the look of this belt and REALLY wanted to do something similar.  Isn't her's fantastic??


Using scraps from the grey dress I used to make a headband and skirt for my daughter, I made the belt itself by cutting long strips. I sewed them 1/4 inch from the edges to give it a scrappy look.

I sewed two sections - one for each side of me ;) Then, I sewed the two sections together. Once that was done, I created flowers using scrap materials from the purple shirt I made the ruffle from, another pink shirt I was about to get rid of, and buttons from the extra buttons they always give you with your coats in case you lose one!




I LOVE how this turned out and CANNOT wait to wear it tomorrow. ;)

Have a great end of the week! And visit these great blogs as well!
make it wear it


Allie

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm marking it to share with everyone on the next "You Roared" post. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that scrappy belt. I would love to do a swap with you. Let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks
    Bobbie (http://www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails