Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Transforming an Old Jewelry Box

I went over to my dad's today to help him go through some of mom's things. It's 5 years today since she passed, so I think it's about time I help him clean out so he can move forward.

One of the things I brought home was her old jewelry box. I remember this from when I was a little girl. It would sit on her dresser, and I can remember sneaking up there to look at all her beautiful jewelry. ;) It held necklaces, rings, pins, broaches - lots of little trinkets. And it played music. I LOVED this jewelry box.

Well, it's at least 30 years old, and probably much older, and it is looking a little worn. So I decided to give it a little makeover.

Step one: A fresh coat of spray paint in heirloom white! I didn't sand it because I was a little worried it was probably lead paint (being 30+ years old and made in Japan). I cleaned it off really well, then made sure to dry it well, and coat one of spray paint went on. Then coat two. And a third coat, just for good measure.


It looked pretty good with just the paint, but I missed the detailing of it, which was what made it unique and memorable to me. I grabbed some of my black acrylic paint, and filled in some of the areas to form their outline, and give some black splotches all over the piece to make it look "antiqued". After putting the black paint on, I used paper towels to antique it. First, a dry one to smudge it all over, and then a slightly dampened one to take off some of the black.


The grooves unfortunately weren't as deep as they used to be thanks to normal wear and tear and a few coats of paint, so it didn't look that great at this point. But, the fun was yet to continue. I filled in the swirls with black paint. I think in the future I might lightly sand some off, but for right now I like how it turned out.


I put it up on my built in shelves (sorry, no picture!) in the dining room and love how it looks with my big wooden words "Imagine" and "Believe".

Have a great week!

Allie




Life in the Pitts

4 comments:

  1. Cute redo! I love a good makeover:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. I love the distressing you did, it really pulls it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to re make a treasure full of memories.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails