Friday, June 4, 2010

Busy, busy, busy!

I think I need a vacation! I have been beyond busy the last couple days. I am participating in our local Relay for Life in honor of my mom who passed away from brain cancer five years ago (I have a blog about that journey - "Goodbye's Before You're Gone"). To raise money, I thought I'd try something a little different, instead of the usual begging for cash: I decided to make and sell hairbows/clips/accessories.

Let me break this down.

Relay: June 12
Decided to make bows: June 3
Hours spent frantically making bows/clips/accessories June 3 and 4: 8
Hours spent at my actual job both those days: 17

Yeah. Doesn't leave a lot of time for sleep. Especially with a baby girl who doesn't feel well and a house with no air conditioning upstairs in our 90 year old house.

Fun!

Anywho, I have been a headband/hairbow/clip making fool for the last two days, and have been able to pop out 32 headbands, and 52 clips/accessories. Whew! The best part? Total cost was $35 for all the materials to make them. That's about $0.42 per clip. Nice.

Here's a little hint: You can buy headbands (the good ones, too, by Goodie) at the dollar store. I bought three different types: Goodie (2 for $1), Satin thicker ones (2 for $1) and then some little girls cloth ones (6 for $1). I bought flowers there too - 6 flowers in a bunch on the stem for $1. I bought ribbon there for $1 a spool. I bought rhinestones at Michael's for $2.99 for 50 - with a 50% off coupon. I bought four purses at the dollar store (very cute ones!) for $1 each (yes, yes, I know that's cheating when I'm trying to "make" things, but I didn't have time to make 4 purses - yikes!). I bought clips at the dollar store - 12 for $1. And I bought buttons at Michaels, $4.99 for a big package of scrap buttons; I also bought felt there, $0.29 for each piece, and I can make about 8 flowers from each piece.

I should also mention I had to buy a glue gun as I don't own one (what a wonderful invention!) and lots of glue sticks.

Okay, now that the detail behind the purchasing is done, I made these all into neat little creations. I guess I'm sort of an absent-minded designer. Most of the time, I don't lay out plans first. I just put a bunch of stuff in front of me and see what happens as I go along. I like to think that I do a pretty good job. I like some of the pieces better than others, but overall, I think they turned out pretty good. I brought them to work and made $47 so far in the last hour and a half - not too shabby!

Here are some of the items. I won't include them all, or this would be the neverending post!



I hope you all have an amazing weekend, filled with summer fun!
Allie


1 comment:

  1. You are so crafty. Thank God someone is around here, because I am so not. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails