Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fail Week - Wednesday

Well, here is a peek at today's disaster du jour!


But before I go on to detail my next disaster, I wanted to share with you the "after" pics from yesterday's "fail" post.


And of course, what would the day be like without bunny ears from the brother in a picture??


Now onto today's FAIL!

I found this AWESOME t-shirt at Goodwill. I love, love, love it, but knew it wouldn't fit my chubster body. But alas, it WOULD make a perfect tunic for my baby girl!

I laid it flat after washing, cut it into a tank shape without the straps. I cut off the bottom band just above the seam, and then cut about two inches off the bottom of the shirt above that band to make it shorter. Reattached the band (of course I took it in on the sides first to match the width of the shape I cut for the tunic).

I cut a strip of fabric, turned both the top and bottom lengthwise towards the middle and ironed so that there wouldn't be a raw edge. (I debated back and forth about raw edging, because I wanted a rocker look, but I ended up going with a clean edge for most of it.)

I attached that strip along the collar of the shirt, and left the back of the shirt a raw edge. It won't fray as it is a jersey material. I connected the strip in back with a button (the picture at the top of this post) and ta-da! .... It didn't fit her. Not even close. That neck was so tiny it would fit her doll
But I SWEAR it totally looked like it would fit.

Now I was totally frustrated. I've been sewing for awhile now, and I always make my items pattern-less. It's all a guestimate, based off her current clothing. It always fits. It always looks cute. And now two fails IN A ROW? I must be losing my magic touch, lol!

Soooooo.... I modified the collar. Cut another strip, left the edges raw (because now I was too flustered to do the clean edge, plus I didn't have enough material left), I attached it to the current strip that was sewn onto the tunic with buttons on each side, and made it a bigger halter. I really like how it turned out. She looked so cute in it (I know, I'm a little biased), and it was comfortable for her to wear - especially when it was 90 degrees!

Stay tuned for tomorrow's fail - turning a Tommy Hilfiger shirt into the first "dress with sleeves" I've made...and how that completely backfired. :)

I'm linking up here:
Bargain Shopping Paradise
Someday Crafts
Nikki's Nifty Knacks
Tea Rose Home
Sew Much Ado
Me and My Bucket
Nikki's Nifty Knacks






4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh your daughter is so adorable! amazing t-shirt fix! very, very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so creative!! I love the dress, especially! Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah most of my crafts are a bit of a fail but they are fun. I would love it if you would link this project to my Upcycled Awesome linky party

    http://www.thetshirtdiaries.com/2010/06/upcycled-awesome-linky-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...you had a bad week last week huh? LOL I love it! Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails