Thursday, June 3, 2010

Repurposing a shadow box

I bought this white square shadow box at IKEA about five years ago. I love it, but I wanted to find something a little different to do with it. I have so many of the same ol', same ol' picture frames - I wanted to make something that would stand out.

I first took the back off the frame and took out the mat.


Then I took pink fabric from an old t-shirt (surprise, surprise, from Old Navy!) and covered the mat with it. I did a few dots of hot glue on the back to hold it in place.



I added in some pictures (one of my favorites of each of the kids) in sepia tone, and the added some buttons in there with hot glue. One thing I wish I'd done first is thread through the holes on the buttons for an added touch, but I could always go back and do that.


I glued on a few pink rosettes made from the same fabric that I used inside the frame, and ta-da!  I had a creative, one-of-a-kind frame for my favorite pictures!


I think I'm going to add a little scrap paper in there with their names and ages in the photos, which is why I left some room on the lower left. I love how this turned out. It really catches your eye on my wall.

Happy Wednesday everyone! Have a great week - we're halfway to Friday!

2 comments:

  1. The name & ages would be cute. Or maybe just the date. Or monograms.
    You wanna fly to TN & help me do my house? I'll take you to eat some good BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cute! I love the little rosettes on the outside!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails