Friday, July 16, 2010

Roses are Red...But Not Today!

I love repurposing shirts. Like here. And here. And here. With flowers. Oh, don't forget here. And one more for good measure ;) And don't forget about the dresses. Ohhhh, I love making dresses!

Well today, I purchased a couple shirts (I know, GASP! New shirts?? What was I thinking!!) But I have used up most of my useable t-shirts, and I have a few I just want to leave plain, so I needed some new ones. Plus Walmart had them marked down to $3.50 each - how can you beat that??

I bought black (which I'll be sewing to a skirt to make a dress sometime soon), pink (which I hope to make awesomely ruffly), and the white one, which I'm showing today.
Plain white t-shirt is about to become not so plain ;)


It's hard to see here, but I cut out big circles in tulle, then three sizes of circles from an old tshirt that I would have thrown away in my less thrifty days.

I created some flowers. The first one, I actually sewed onto the shirt, but truth be told, it was a bit challenging. Then I realized why, and I could have altered my machine slightly to make it work, but that was about an hour after I finished the shirt ;) After the first one, I just sewed the others and then hand sewed them to the shirt. I took tulle, then layered the biggest circle on top of it, and sewed a scraggly circle around the inner edge of it. Then I added the second biggest circle, sewed a circle. then the smallest circle, sewed a circle. Then attached it to the shirt with the pearl in the center.
I also made two small flowers with just the two smaller circles, and added those on. I LOVE how this turned out. I really do - it jazzes up the tshirt just enough that it could be dressy, but it's still that comfy old tshirt too.

I think I might make a couple of these as Christmas gifts. Do you think people would like them? And I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of me in it yet. I was so tired last night when I got done sewing it, and didn't wear it this morning.

Keeping it Simple
The Girl Creative
Tools are for Women Too
SugarBee
Today's Creative Blogspot
Bargain Shopping Paradise
Tea Rose Home
Someday Crafts
Sew Much Ado
Me and My Bucket
Creations by Kara
Craft O Maniac
Train to Crazy



Thanks for reading! Have a great weekend!

Allie



7 comments:

  1. I think your t-shirt looks great! I just saw something very similar at Old Navy last night and thought to myself...I could make something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat as the commenter above. I have some cheap Old Navy shirts that need some jazzin' up and this looks like just the right idea with out making it too crazy. Sometimes a (just barely more than) plain t-shirt is just right.

    http://www.finallyfinishedcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i LOVE all your shirt refashions!! i looked at all of them :) saved a bunch to try in my "to do" folder!
    i really think you need to have a tutorials list on your sidebar. i'd love to see all you've done!! following you now.

    *and come check out my blog too if you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Looks like a boutique shirt now ;)
    Thanks for linking to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the added detail of the sewing around the flower! so cute! i am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, especially how you put black around them, they really pop!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails