Monday, July 5, 2010

Toddler Leg Warmers - $1 and 5 minutes!

I'll admit it: I have a problem. My name is Allie, and I am addicted to little girl leg warmers!!

I love these things - they are PERFECT for my little one here in the midwest, where the weather is...unpredictable! Even in the summer months, it can be about 60 - just cool enough where we need something to cover her legs. And in the spring and fall, when it's not quite warm enough for shorts, and not quite cold enough for full pants, they are a perfect solution.

Not to mention that they look adorable under skirts and dresses!

Since 2008, I have probably spent $150 more than I am willing to admit on leg warmers - at boutiques, online, at Target ... you name it, I've probably bought some there! Well, no more. This week at Target, while browsing for maybe some socks for me, I found clearance socks. Knee high and over the knee socks for $1. Instantly, I thought: "Leg warmers!!"

I spent $14 on socks. Not on clearance, that total would have been $70 ($5 per pair). And if I actually bought legwarmers from a store, (about $10 per pair), that would have been $140!! So I literally saved myself over $120 ;) Not bad for a days work!

So, as you can see from the math above, I grabbed up 14 pairs. Brought them home, thought for about five minutes about the best way to make these, and then began cutting.

First, I cut the foot of the sock off. Then, I cut a large rectangle out of that foot-material by cutting of the toes and the heel. This is what I was left with. You can toss aside the toe part, which is on the left side here.



I then folded the band in half.


I placed it upside down, right side out, against the top of the sock (also right side out).


Stretching it a bit around the bottom of my sewing machine, I used a zigzag stitch to seal.


Then we end up with this:


So easy, each pair took me a total of about five minutes, not kidding (except the first pair, which took about 10). Not bad at all!

Here is what I ended up with (including another pair my daughter was wearing that you will see in later pics).
And of course, some close ups. I've got blues, pinks, oranges, blacks, greens, prints, solids, etc. They will be perfect for mixing and matching with her wardrobe.


And here is the little fashionista modeling for me.


Yes, in one of the pictures above, she has chocolate on her face. I'm not opposed to bribery to get a good picture, lol. That is an Oreo cookie.

In fact, when I turned my back to start this post, she stole MY cookie too!

"What mom? This is MY cookie. I swear."

"If you can see the cookie, mom, I don't have it."

BUSTED!
Have a great week all! And get to work on those $1 a pair legwarmers!

Linking to:
The Train to Crazy
Sugar Bee Craft Edition
Tools are for Women Too
The Girl Creative
My Delicious Ambiguity
Nikki's Nifty Knacks
Bargain Shopping Paradise
Someday Crafts
Tea Rose Home
Sew Much Ado
Creations By Kara
Keeping it Simple
Today's Creative Blog



5 comments:

  1. LOL, tooooooo cute! Thanks for linking to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing for my sister's baby for a shower gift. Very sweet, indeed! I was lucky enough the other day to find a few pairs for $2 at the store and thought I was doing pretty good.

    First time I did them I just made a hem in the cut end and stitched that down, but I think I'll try your trick for these next ones.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cutest things I've ever seen, well not ever but still darn cute!!! I could even do this without a sewing machine. Stopping by from look what I made

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, if I had a girl, I would so do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are cute! Everytime I see them I wish I had little girls! Haha. Oh well.

    I think these would make perfect gifts. I came from Keeping it Simple...

    I would love for you to link this up to my Christmas in July linky party.

    Hope to see you there!

    Just Another Day in Paradise

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails