Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Heat n Bond love, and sprucing up with iron ons!

 

With the shirts that are in-style now, I'm finding that the dresses my daughter wears this year, she can wear as tunic-like shirts next year. In fact, this year she wore a 6-12 month dress as a cute ruffled tank top shirt over jean shorts - adorable! I love being able to recycle these for her to wear, because as any mother of a girl knows, we could spend a fortune in the stores buying up all the cute clothes!

Another thing I love is our local resale store, Once Upon a Child. This past week they've had their 50 cent clearance sale, where all clearance items are 50 cents. I bought my cutie pie a few Tommy Hilfiger dresses, a few Ralph Lauren dresses, and then I bought several items I could embellish - plain t-shirts, plain hoodies, etc. This way, I can add my own touch. And, I bought them a size up - this way, they'll be a bit big on her now, but fit her for about a year.

I used iron-on's on this short sleeve hoodie tunic to dress it up a bit. The iron-on's were clearanced at hobby lobby for 82 cents. I also used them on a pair of jeans I got her, but that's for a jeans post later this week.

Before: (haha, ignore the purple shirt underneath it - that's my hillbilly ironing board - a shirt on a wooden chest - because I was being lazy and didn't want to get out the real one ).


After: Front:

After: Back:

And little one in it - please excuse the strange facial expression. This is how she smiles when you say "Smile!" - she's just going through that cheese-mo smile face phase.



Then, she had a disney princess shirt she outgrew - but it was stained near the collar, and so I couldn't give it away. So, I cut out the princess picture, and using heat-n-bond (this is the first time I've ever used it - I LOVE it!) and secured it to another 50 cent shirt, then stitched it to the shirt with clear thread. No pictures of her wearing it - it's a size 4, and she won't be in that for another year or so.


And finally, I used heat-n-bond to secure a "P" I cut out of a pretty fabric I love (I also made a purse out of the fabric here) and then also added a heart out of another fabric I'm in love with. I made sure to cut the heat-n-bond a half inch smaller all around so that there would be room to fray the edges of the "P" and the heart. Wash, dry, and the fray looks awesome! I love her in this ;) The headband is the one I made to match the purse I linked to above - it's the same material as the heart on her shirt, so it matches perfectly! (Here's another monogram shirt, too)


I love the face below - it's like, "guess what I'm about to do..." :)
We love Dora.
Best buds.
Total cost of projects: about $5 for 3 shirts she can wear for over a year. Not bad!


When it's 50 cents, even though I put my own hard work into them, I don't really feel too bad if they get ruined playing. I know someone who just about cries every time their kid comes home with a shirt that has a mark on it - I mean, they're kids! If my kids don't come home from daycare or a friends house with paint or dirt or popsicle all over their shirts, well then I just think they didn't have any fun! Kids are meant to get dirty - it's part of growing up!!

Linking to:
Simply Designing
Fun to Craft
Crystals Craft Spot
The Shabby Nest
Creation Corner
Finding Fabulous
It's a Hodge Podge life
Fingerprints on the Fridge


Have a great day!

Allie

3 comments:

  1. Great job!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heat and bond is about the extent of my sewing skills lol. Isn't it marvelous?!?!?! Thanks so much for linking these up at gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable shirts. I love the monogram one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails