Friday, February 18, 2011

Springtime Lace Skirts - For Mommy & Daughter!

I've been seeing these beautiful lace skirts everywhere in blogland, and I've always been too afraid to try and make something like that for myself. I fear making adult-sized clothes, because I don't like patterns so I don't use them, and I am not a great measur-er. Oh, and I don't like long projects. I have sewing ADD. Little people clothes that are quick are more my style.

However, perusing the aisles at Hobby Lobby yesterday, I came across a beee-you-ti-full spool of lace trim. In the clearance section. 11 yards. For $14.93.  Oh yes, that's right - less than $15 for that much lace! It was a sign - I needed to make a skirt. I bought a yard each of two other laces as well, for a skirt for my daughter (to mix with the lace from my spool and give it some character). And those yards were 30% off. Nice.

$18 I was heading home and laying out my idea in my mind. For daughter's skirt, I used some pink jersey material I had left from this skirt as the slip part underneath the lace. I cut two skirt shaped pieces, which I measured by laying one of her current skirts on top of the material. Then I just measured, marked, and sewed the lace on row by row to each side of the slip. Once both sides had the lace on them, I measured and cut a waistband (again using her skirt as a reference). I sewed the waistband on each slip piece. I cut out elastic to the appropriate size, sewed it into the waist band, turned the slip pieces so they were face to face, and sewed up the sides to close the skirt.

Looking at the INSIDE of the skirt, I stopped to wish for yet another moment that I had a serger, and then I turned the skirt rightside out. It was exactly what I wanted! I sewed on a pretty turquoise ribbon, and three chiffon roses, by hand. It was done! I made it a little longer so she can wear it as a semi-dress or as a skirt.

Next was mine. Same process - I used an old pillowcase as my slip ;) Cut, measured, marked, sewed, but on mine I added a zipper. I used an old belt for a spring trench coat (it's a salmony-pink color) as my waistband, and then after an hour and twenty minutes, mine was done too! And the best part was, I used an old skirt to measure my skirt with...and because I've been losing weight, the skirt was too big! I had to take it in ;) I paired it with a black top, and then brought the skirt up high to make it look more dress like. I threw on the belt I had made this week, and pink shoes and ta-da! Done. And exactly what I wanted. Frilly, poofy, lacy.

Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever pretended to be, a model. I look so uncomfortable posing for pictures! Yeesh. But I wanted a picture of the skirt. Plus, just focus on my daughter's pics. She's super cute ;)

So without further ado, here are mommy-daughter semi-matching springtime skirts!






 




Have a great weekend everyone!

Someday Crafts
733
Twin Dragonfly Designs
Sew Much ADo
Blue Cricket Designs
My Backyard Eden
Creations by Kara
Paisley Passions
The Creative Blogspot
It’s a Hodgepodge Life

Inspiring Creations
Sassy Sites 
Fingerprints on the Fridge
It’s Fun to Craft
Crystal’s Craft Spot
Simply Designing
Keeping it Simple
Craft O Maniac
Todays Creative Blog
Tip Junkie
Sugar Bee Crafts







12 comments:

  1. i love matching! they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mother daughter skirts & I invite you to link this up to my Fashion Friday link part @
    http://damedesignstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! So perfect for spring. And what a cute little model too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome! such a cute idea! i need a lace skirt now!
    Cardigans and Cookie Dough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I love the idea of matching to your daughter! I am a new follower and visiting from Paisley Passions!
    Hope you have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I'm loving lace right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Your skirts are beautiful! You did a great job! You need to trust yourself a little more, you have more talent than you know!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the lace skirts! Great job! Would love for you to drop by the Tuesday To Do party and share them!
    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/05/tuesday-to-do-8-and-7-list-makers.html
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are both so cute! I love them both! Especially like the pretty pink details on mommys, but I'm a sucker for anything pink really haha :)

    I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/05/your-whims-wednesday-5-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Amazing! They turned out GREAT!! I LOVE lace!
    stopping by from Justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with this skirt I sooo want it. I am visiting from Keeping it Simple linky party. Thank you for sharing you are so creative. Come and say hi tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails