Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Girly Skull and Crossbones Upcycled Dress

I bought a 3T shirt at a resale shop on sale for 50 cents months ago. It's sat in my pile of "I'll get to this eventually" projects. I bought it specifically with the purpose of adding an iron-on I bought - also months ago, and at least a month before the shirt - of a girl skull and crossbones.

Tonight, I decided, why not? Let's be productive. ;)

I needed a bottom, because instead of just the shirt, I wanted to create a dress. In the pile is a shirt I have had for years. It is a simple black and white stripe, but I love it. I bought it with my mom on one of our last shopping trips together. It was a "share" shirt - one of the shirts we would share between eachother. For that sentimental reason, I haven't been able to get rid of it. It shrunk though, and was really short, and I can't do short shirts, lol.

I also love the 3/4 sleeves on it. I don't have tanktop arms, so I like sleeves. Preferably 3/4 ;)  (I used the scraps from this dress to make this shirt.)

I cut off the bottom of the shirt from right under the armpits. It would make a perfect bottom to the dress, and even more, it would be a happy reminder of the fun times I had with my mom each time my cutie pie wears this special dress.

It was easy to sew - I used a gathering stitch to make the skirt ruffle a bit at the waist. I sewed the pieces together, cut the cuffs off the sleeves and shortened the sleeves, then sewed the cuffs back on to make it 3/4, then ironed on the design. After that, I cut out a skull and eyes and nose, along with a pink felt and rhinestone bow, glued that onto a pink flower, and that onto a headband with feathers for a cute little girly outfit.

And wa-lah! Another post will follow about what I did with the rest of the shirt. ;)

The 3T shirt

My old shirt


Ta-da!


awwww - he wanted to smile with his sister!




My son took this photo - he is going to be a great photographer someday!






visit these awesome blogs!


3 comments:

  1. This is really cute! I just made my daughter a similar dress...but I haven't posted about it yet. It was a pirate shirt and I added black and grey stripes to the bottom for the dress part. It was an impromptu project because they were doing a pirate themed week at school. Great job on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! Great way to re-use clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really adorable and even better since the shirt is special to you! I like how you modified the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails